Friday, December 10, 2010

3 for 3

Well, we're 3-for-3 when it comes to tubes in our kids' ears.  
Kayden got them at about 15 months, Tyler was about 9 months. 
Tyson went in yesterday morning.  We were supposed to be there at 5:00 a.m.  I say, "supposed" to be there, because, well, for some reason, my alarm never went off, and I just happened to wake up at 5:02 a.m.  In a slight panic, I told Mike that we needed to get up, because we were supposed to be there "right now!". So, I quickly threw on some clothes and went into Tyler and Kayden's room where Tyson was sleeping (Kayden and Tyler stayed at my mom's), flipped on the light, got him up, and while I had him on the changing table, getting dressed, I called the surgical center to let them know that we'd be late, but we WERE coming.  Within 15 minutes we were out the door, and in the car. 
By 5:30, we were at the surgical center, and by 6:00, he was in surgery, I think it was about 5 minutes later, he was out, and by 6:30, we were in the recovery room with him, and by 6:55, we were on the road, heading home.  
The whole process is so quick, and as far as I know, painless.  With Kayden and Tyler we were in the room when they "put them under", but this time, the Anaesthesiologist just took Tyson back, and said he'd just hold him and rock him until he was asleep.  
I know there are LOTS of people who think that tubes should be a last resort for the wee ones, but I am all for them!  My kids have constant ear infections, and once the tubes are in, it's like some kind miracle---no more infections, or any of the crap that goes with them:  sleepless nights, fevers, crying....it's all over. 
So, here's to hoping for better sleep at night, a healthy household, and happy kids (which makes for a happy mommy).  ;)

2 comments:

  1. Hope he's doing ok now, is he? Drew got them last December at nearly 5 years of age. I KICK myself for not doing 3 years earlier. She's only had 1 ear infection in the last 12 months with her tubes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, all is well. He's always been a happy baby. Even when he has those nasty ear infections. Now, if I could get him to sleep at night, life would be grand!

    ReplyDelete