Friday, November 19, 2010

A day in the life....

People ask me all the time, "How do you do it?", "How do you have time for everything?".  So, I thought I'd just give a little snap-shot of what a normal weekday looks like in our family--
6:15--I get up and start getting ready.  I shower at night for two reasons:  1.  To save time in the morning and 2.  so that I don't have to make lots of noise using the blow dryer, etc.  This way the kids can sleep a little longer.  
6:55--I wake up the boys.  I usually just have to change Tyson's diaper.  I take them all to daycare in their jammies.  Kayden and Tyler always get juice or milk for the car ride, and by 7:05, I'm buckling kids in the car.  Mike is home during this time most days.  If the kids happen to wake up before I'm ready for them, he'll entertain them while I finish getting things ready to go.  
7:10--We need to be leaving the driveway!  
7:25ish--we arrive at daycare.  I get the boys out of the car one-at-a-time.  Kayden is first.  Then Tyler and then Tyson.  I usually don't put shoes on them in the morning, so I have to carry them in when we get there.  
7:30/7:35--I'm on the road, headed to work. 
7:50--I arrive at school.  
around 4:00--I leave school to head to daycare.  I usually pick the boys up between 4:30 and 5:00.  
5:15--We get home.  I get Kayden and Tyler a little snack and send them to play while I make supper.  Tyson often falls asleep on the way  home, so he naps in his carseat while I get supper ready.  
6:00ish--We eat supper.  
*Mike usually gets home anywhere from 4:00 to 9:00.  It changes every day.  
6:30/6:45--Supper is finished, but Tyson needs his cereal/babyfood.  Once this is done, I start the dishes.  If it's bath night, and Mike is home, he puts them in the tub while I do the dishes.  After baths, it's jammies and then they usually play for a while.  
By 8:00 we are picking up toys and then reading books.  After a few stories, Mike usually rocks Tyler, Kayden lays on his pillow on the floor or the couch, and I get things ready for the next day.  (Since I take them to daycare in their pajamas, I need to pack their clothes, etc). 
8:30/8:45--One of us gives Tyson his bedtime bottle, and if all goes well, by 9:00 all three are in bed (this is rare).  
9:00--I shower, and if Tyson is still up, when I'm done, I work on getting him to sleep while Mike showers, etc.  On a good night, I'm in bed by 10:00.  
The end? Oh no.  Tyson usually wakes up sometime around 2:00, and then often before 5:00.  We are working on this =)
There are certain nights and times of the year that are crazier than others.  Mondays I play volleyball and Kayden has preschool, so things tend to look a little different.  Every-other Thursday night, I bar-tend, so Mike is on his own on those nights.  Weekends are crazy.  Basketball season gets a little hairy, since we like to go watch Auntie Mazih play, but she plays varsity basketball, so the games don't even start until 7:00 or 7:30, which makes for LATE bedtimes!  
Needless to say, life is crazy.  This is why I really try to take advantage of my days off, and weekends without plans.  I also REALLY appreciate being able to work part-time in the summer(one of the perks of being a teacher).

2 comments:

  1. I've said a hundred times, I just don't know how working moms do it. I stopped teaching when Drew was born 5 and a half years ago and if I hadn't my days would look just like yours. You're a rockstar, don't ever doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, I have thought (a lot) about staying home with my kids, but I do it just part-time in the summer, and I know how hard it is, I haven't taken the plunge yet!

    ReplyDelete