Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Changes

Knowing that I will most likely, not have my teaching job for next fall, I've been thinking about my options, and what my ideal job would be.  

I would love, love, LOVE, to work three days a week, send my boys to daycare four days a week, and have one day a week to myself to "get sh-t done!". Now, that would be the life. Not the real world, but the life.

I have said before that I could not stay home with all three of my boys all day, every day.  I couldn't do it.  For multiple reasons.  
1.  I need to talk to adults.  
2.  I would end up spending a lot of money, because I can't just sit in my house, I'd end up going places.  Shopping.  Zoo.  Out to lunch.  Shopping.  Random outings.  
3.  I want my kids to go to daycare, at least part time, because I want them to be able to interact with other kids and adults besides their family members.  I think daycare is great preparation for school.
4.  My husband would feel the brunt of it, because, as soon as he walked in the door, I would expect him to take over.  
5. I am afraid of not working, for the fact that I went to college for 4.5 years, and am still paying for a degree that I wouldn't even be using.  

So, I'll have a few options in the fall.  
My first choice/priority is going to be to look for a teaching job in a public school.  Full or part time.  Sadly, I could work part-time in a public school and make the same yearly salary that I make right now.  
My second choice, will be to work at Kids Company, in the 4's childcare.  This is basically a childcare center for kids who go to preschool during the day.  If I choose to do this, I may send Kayden to preschool during the day a few days a week, and then he'd come to Kids Company on those days, and go to his regular daycare on the days he doesn't have school.  Going to preschool during the day would eliminate us having to drive Kayden to Avon one night a week for school, and daytime preschool is better preparation for (I don't even like to say the word) kindergarten (eek!). 
If by some, random chance, I would end up still having this job next year, I'd really have to think about whether or not I'd come back.  Not because I don't like my job, because I do.  The reasons I would consider not returning include, the price of gas, and the distance I travel to get here (unless, of course we actually sell our house, and move to Albany, which is about 20 miles closer), and my salary compared to the amount I have to pay for three kids in daycare.  
OR, maybe some other great opportunity will come along, and everything will fall into place.  For now, I'm not going to stress about it.  I will do my job to the best of my ability while I'm here, and when it comes time to start worrying about next year, then I'll start worrying about next year ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment