Friday, March 25, 2011

What a week!

It has been a strange week in the Frericks household.  
It started Tuesday morning when I got a text from our daycare provider that Tyson was coughing, wheezing and his temp was 100.6.  
So, I told her to let me know if things got worse, or if she wanted me to come get him early.  I didn't hear from her again, but I decided to call our pediatrician, just to find out if she wanted to see him, or if I should just increase his nebulizer treatments.  So, I left a message for her, and by lunchtime she called me back.  She asked a few questions and then decided that we should just increase his nebs.  
My mom picked the boys up for me that day and met me in Albany because I needed to take Kayden to the eye doctor.  
During Kayden's appointment, I got a text from my dad that I better stop and get some Tylenol for Tyson.  By the time I got to my parents' house, he was burning up and wheezing worse that ever!  I gave him some Tylenol, snuggled him for a bit and headed to my meeting.  
By the time I got back from my meeting, it was bedtime for the boys, so we got them in their pj's and gave Tyson his bottle, and headed for home.  When we got home, we did his nebulizer treatment.  

And so began night number one of zero sleep for Tyson and Mommy.  
It was rough. 
He was miserable.  He gets sick a lot, but he is always still a happy baby, so I knew things were bad when he wasn't smiling, and crawling around after his brothers. 

I had decided(I think around 3:00 a.m.) that I was going to call in sick on Wednesday, and take the poor baby to the clinic even though our doctor said she didn't need to see him.  I wanted, number one, to have someone else's opinion, and number two, I wanted someone to listen to his breathing since it was worse than any other time.  

5:30 a.m. my cell phone rang, to tell me that due to a March snowstorm in lovely Minnesota, school was closed for the day.  Perfect.  Saves me a sick day.  

So, after the boys were all awake, I got Kayden and Tyler to Sharon's and Tyson and I braved the storm, and headed to the clinic.  
To my surprise, we were one of two families in the usually over-flowing walk-in clinic waiting room.  (Fun tid-bit:  the only other child in the waiting room was named Tyson too)
They called us back, and started a nebulizer treatment right away.  
By the time the doctor came in, his breathing was sounding better already, but she did order a chest x-ray and a flu test, just to be sure.  
If your kids have ever had a chest x-ray, you know how miserable that whole procedure is, and this was his second one in a month!

So, eventually, we were sent home with instructions to continue his nebulizer treatments, and Tylenol for his fever.  If things aren't better within 3 days, we should go back.  

I later got a call that the flu test was negative, and as far as the chest x-ray, I'm assuming no news is good news.  

On a good note---his ears were not, I repeat, NOT INFECTED! This could be due to the fact that he was currently on an anti-biotic....=)
By Tuesday night Tyson was better already.  It's amazing what the nebulizer can do. He still isn't sleeping at night, but we'll keep working on that.  
His pediatrician also put him on an "Asthma Action Plan".  She has diagnosed him with "asthma due to infection".  So, basically, when ever he gets a cold, his asthma kicks in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment