Friday, March 25, 2011

Not your regular trip to Target....

When Kayden was younger, I'd take him everywhere with me.  We used to go shopping all the time.  He'd ride around in the cart at Target while I browsed the aisles picking up all the things I needed, crossing things off my list.  He was happy just to people watch and hang with his mommy.  
So, Thursday, Tyler had a follow-up appointment at the ENT for his 1 year-post tubes check. So since his appointment was in the middle of the day, I had the whole day off.  I rarely spend time with just Tyler, so I thought it would be fun and I had plans to get.  stuff.  done. 
I thought we'd head to Target, then the doctor, then lunch, then a few other stops I needed to make, then home for a nap (if he didn't already take a nap in his stroller). 
OMG---things were not as easy as I remember them being with Kayden when he was Tyler's age.  All through Target, he yelled and pointed out every ball, puppy, dinosaur, car, everything.  When I didn't give him each of those things, he yelled louder, and sometimes even added tears.  I was constantly handing him "stuff", and then slyly taking it away and putting it on random shelves throughout the store so that I didn't have to buy it. 
By the time we got to the check-out line, his patience was gone.  He spotted a little cup of "Teddy Grahams". So, I grabbed it, opened it up, and gave it to him to keep him semi-quiet.  You all know what happened next.  He dumped the whole thing on the floor (except for about ten little teddies left in the bottom).  This, before I even paid for it.  So, by the time the cashier scanned it, I was paying a dollar for an empty container and listening to an almost-two-year-old yell and whine because he wanted the ones that were all over the floor.  
I paid for our stuff, talked Tyler into putting his coat on and headed out the door.  
We got to the car, I unloaded all of our bags into the back, then went to put Tyler in his seat, and found a $5.99 package of wipes sitting next to him in the cart.  Uh Oh.  
I know I should have gone back in to pay for them, but I was exhausted.  I couldn't do it.  That would have meant, taking Tyler  back into the store, where he would surely have spotted something that he needed, then proceeded to throw another fit.  I couldn't.  
So, Target, I'm sorry.  I stole some wipes.  But it was an accident.  
I won't give you the details of the doctor appointment, our lunch date with Grammy, or our trip to Old Navy and JCPenney.  I will just tell you the stinker fell asleep in his stroller, and took a three hour nap. I was able to move him from his stroller to the car and from the car to his bed, all while he stayed sleeping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment