Sunday, February 3, 2013

Basketball

I signed Kayden up for Saturday morning basketball.  It's just a six week program.  He plays with other kindergarteners, has some great coaches and is learning a ton!  From the moment I told him I had signed him up, he was adamant that he was not going.  His reason?  He was already in baseball and he doesn't need to be in more than one sport.  I decided that even though he had a terrible attitude about it and just really didn't want to go, I would have him at least try it. 
The first week went horribly.  Mike took him and I guess he cried and did not want to participate.  Mike had all three boys that day, so there wasn't much he could do to help.  So, Kayden stood by the wall for the entire hour and watched.  Fail. 
With a little convincing, I took him back the following week.  I told him I would stay with him the whole time and help him with everything the coaches wanted him to do.  So, week number two went a little better.  He participated in all of the "drills" with just a few tears.  I had to be right next to him the whole time, but he did it.  At the end of every session the team has a little scrimmage with the other kindergarten team.  This week, he refused to participate in this part. 
So, week three.  Things went a little better.  He participated in all of the drills.  I don't think there were any tears.  Again, I was right with him.  He participated in some of the scrimmage, but decided part way through, he'd had enough.  Fine with me.  It was during the scrimmage time this week that my friend Christina came and sat on the floor with me.  She told me that I was a good mom for making Kayden stick with it, and for putting in all of the extra effort of getting him to enjoy basketball without letting him quit every time he wanted to.  I needed to hear this.  It had been hard watching all of the other parents sitting on the sidelines drinking their Saturday morning coffee and chatting while I was having to hold my child's hand through every part of the program.  Thank you Christina. 
Week four.  This week, Kayden participated in every part of the program.  I didn't have to help him with anything.  He is so much more confident.  I sat near him, but did not have to give him nearly as much support as he had needed in the past weeks.  I was so proud of him.  I knew if I could get him to stick with it, he would find out he really did enjoy it.  He is shy, and just wasn't very confident in his abilities.  He has spent the past six years of his life watching his aunt play basketball.  I think he thought he needed to play like her.  I had to explain that Amazih started with kindergarten basketball.  She didn't know how to play when she started and these coaches had to teach her.  I think it all just finally sank in.  He isn't so afraid of failing.  Maybe he won't make the shot he takes, maybe the ball will bounce off his foot and roll away while he's dribbling, maybe he will bump into another player and fall down.  He is learning that this is all ok.  His coaches are amazing.  One of them was my high school history teacher and my ninth grade basketball coach.  He talked to me the first week I was there and I told him how shy Kayden was and he was 100% on board with letting him ease into things.  He understood that pushing Kayden outside his comfort zone wouldn't help anything.  This was all a huge help.  I'm so thankful Kayden was put on his team. 
There is just two weeks of basketball left.  I hope we will see even more improvement in Kayden's confidence, but even if he stays right where he is at, I'm totally satisfied.  He has made huge gains and I'm one proud mama. 

No comments:

Post a Comment